Friday, March 18, 2011

Development/environment ethics

After leaving class today, I thought a lot about this topic. When first discussing it in class, I had the mentality that we don't owe people anything. I have always had this mentality though about almost everything. It is pretty bad when I see those commercials of starving kids on tv and don't really feel sorry for them. However, after give it some serious though I do believe I have somewhat had a "change of heart". I do think that, as humans, it is our responsibility to help if we have the means, and that goes for everything in life. The terminology of "we owe" is what was seriously turning me off to the thought. I think it's important that we are careful of the words we choose to use in such discussion. I do think it wrong to live in unnecessary luxury when others are starving and do not even have the basic needs to survive. The difficult part in helping is knowing how to help. Granted there are several organizations, however, they are not all trustworthy. I personally have a hard time giving to any because I do not know exactly how much of my money is going to the cause. I have always given to just 2 organizations because I have found them in my research to be legit. These places are St. Jude and World Outreach International. I chose these 2 places because, while I may seem (and have been told by several professional personality tests) heartless, I do have a huge heart for children and these 2 organizations goes directly to those children in need.

1 comment:

  1. Allie, I'm glad to see that you are taking a different approach at this problem. I know its hard to feel remorse for people that you don't know or have nothing to do with. However, I think nwe should all feel bad to a acertain point, because if we can do anything to help stop it, then it is our responsibility to do so.

    ReplyDelete