Friday, April 8, 2011

Sunrooms and Misbehaving Children

Yesterday my girlfriend and I bought some tools to start our garden with. It was nothing big, just a trowel, a hose and a hand cultivator. We then went on to explore several estate sales and stumbled upon a home which had a stunning sunroom surrounded by one of the most inviting gardens I have ever seen. This got me thinking about my garden and what it would look like. I found myself thinking of large, overgrown greenhouses from movies and the landscapes painted by the personalities on HGTV. Then I caught myself. I started to wonder first why I thought of these and then why I thought they were appealing. The reasoning was clear on the prior: I have been conditioned by what I've seen. I like it so I'll think about it when creating something similar. The latter, however, is a bit more mysterious. Do we as humans enjoy plentiful surroundings? Yes. Does this preference come from our animal instincts to have a high probability to find food and shelter? I believe this to be true as well, but what of the aesthetic value we place on such emplacements? Why is it pleasurable to sit in that sunroom and soak up the scent of the plants only an arm length away and relax in the shade of the green leaves lit by the high afternoon sun? What makes it so easy to write elegantly about doing so? Is it really human nature to enjoy what the world has surrounded us in and give it value just because it's there or is it something more? Yes, it were those exact surroundings that gave us food and shelter and still provide that to us today, but do we love it just because it supported us this whole time like a mother? The situation we as humanity have gotten ourselves into seems to me like a spoiled child who's grown up and wants his mom to pay for everything. The only kicker is that mommy is running out of funds and is falling apart because of how we as the children take.

No comments:

Post a Comment