Saturday, January 22, 2011

HNRS Environmental Philosophy

When I first decided to sign up for this class, it was because I wanted to find an honors course that I could have to put on my resume. After just the first two class periods however, I can see that this class is going to be much more than just honors credit hours. The environment is nothing that I have ever really paid that much attention to in the past, but it is something that we should all pay close attention to. I am very excited about this semester, but especially about this particular class, I can only imagine what it has to offer me. Coming from a very agricultural based family in Western Kansas, I am very aware of how important the land is to families like mine, and families all over the world. Without clean air and soil, there wouldn't be any way to produce quality crops, without quality crops, we wouldn't be able to feed livestock or several other vital aspects that we depend on every day. This being said, I am now far more excited to learn about the environment, and philosophy than I ever would have expected. I only hope that the rest of this semester goes as great as the first few weeks have already been.

2 comments:

  1. Coming from an agricultural based family gives you an unique perspective to view environmental issues. A lecture I heard from last year about sustainability really helps bring this point out. The lecturer was talking about how she thought she was being "sustainable" while she wore bamboo clothes, blogged on her macbook while she was in a small NYC apartment. Which is what a lot of people feel is what it takes to be sustainable. But after traveling, she realized that farmers have been living "sustainable" for many years,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wyatt, if you are interested, one of your research papers could be about environmentally sustainable agriculture. There is quite a bit of material out there on that topic, both from a agriculture and from a philosophy point of view. Someone like Aldo Leopold might be a good place to start. And, given your agricultural background, I think you will enjoy the part of the course where we talk about environmental restoration, especially the example of the restoration of the tallgrass prairie. I'm looking forward to your contributions to this class.

    ReplyDelete