Friday, January 21, 2011

Reflection

My impression of this course so far is one of slight apathy combined with peaking interest. I must admit that I have never really been interested in environmental issues. However, I am coming into this class with an open mind and a willingness to be challenged. As far as a topic that I am most interested in with the environment, is quite difficult for me to say. As previously stated, I have never been one to pay much attention to environmental issues other than the "duh" factors like cutting down forests and littering. However, I do look forward to delving deeper into the bigger issues. I have recently learned that air quality is a serious problem in some cities. My mother has recently had to move back to Kansas from Phoenix, Arizona due to the terribly polluted air there. Of course, air quality is a big deal but I never really thought much of it until it hit home on a personal level. It is becoming quite clear that environmental issues are a huge problem. Not only does it affect the quality of human and animal life, it also carries with it a financial strain on those that have to handle the "clean up." On the other hand, with a bit of knowledge and a little know-how, we could see big changes on our earths environment.

2 comments:

  1. It is good that you are beginning to think about the environmental issues that the Earth is facing. You, like most people, never really take the time to find out about environmental issues until it has a personal impact. Sometimes, that is what it takes to begin those first steps towards having a desire to help protect the environment. Below is a link to a NYTimes blog on the smog problem in Hong Kong. Although Arizona, and other US cities, has smog problems they are not nearly as bad as other places on the planet. Death, cancer and illness can all be linking to the air quality of a city.
    http://bit.ly/hOLzf4

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allie: I appreciate your honesty about where you are coming from! I will do my best to make the class engaging for you. I think you'll find that as we get deeper into the issues, it will get increasingly interesting. Or not--different tastes for different people! :-) As both you and Malcolm remarked in different ways, the route to engagement on environmental issues is often to connect with things that are personally relevant and important to you. As someone in a Business major, you might want to look into the economics of "going green" as one of your research projects.

    ReplyDelete